We use some essential cookies to make our website work. We’d like to set additional cookies so we can remember your preferences and understand how you use our site.
You can manage your preferences and cookie settings at any time by clicking on “Customise Cookies” below. For more information on how we use cookies, please see our Cookies notice.
Your cookie preferences have been saved. You can update your cookie settings at any time on the cookies page.
Your cookie preferences have been saved. You can update your cookie settings at any time on the cookies page.
Mae’n ddrwg gennym, roedd problem dechnegol. Rhowch gynnig arall arni.
A Northumberland man has been sentenced following an attempted theft from an ATM in Powburn – after using explosive tactics.
Kristopher Follos, 45, is adjusting to living behind bars after he was handed a prison term sentence for his role in an attempted heist that you’d expect to see on the big screen.
Last year on May 12, officers received a report of an explosion outside Hedgeley Service Station. It was reported that an ATM machine was left on fire following an explosion and those believed to be responsible had fled the scene empty handed after failing to open the cashpoint.
Officers from the North East Regional Organised Crime Unit (NEROCU) worked with Northumbria Police to immediately launch an investigation and undertook extensive enquiries. A planned strike day followed, with the support of Bedfordshire Police, to arrest Follos at his home address on Olivers Mill in Morpeth.
Not only did police catch their suspect but officers also discovered a small number of improvised explosive devices at the property. This resulted in the Explosive Ordinance Disposal team attending the scene to safely remove the devices.
Follos was subsequently charged with conspiracy to steal, conspiracy to cause explosions and making an explosive substance.
He appeared before North Tyneside Magistrate’s Court in September last year where he pleaded guilty to all charges and today (Wednesday) he was sentenced to eight years in prison.
Following the sentencing, the lead officer in the case, NEROCU Detective Sergeant Patrick Naughten, said: “Follos has proven he is an extreme danger to the public and this sentence reflects the hard work officers and partners have put in to secure this result.
“I want to thank the dedicated specialist teams we have pursuing suspects and protecting the public. It is this robust regional response that ensures we can continue to protect North East communities.”
NEROCU Detective Inspector Shaun Fordy, added: “This action is part of our united regional approach in tackling serious and organised crime under the banner of Operation Sentinel and demonstrates the intelligence and resources at our disposal. We will continue to pursue those criminals who we suspect of endangering our communities, and we will bring them before the courts.”
David Lee, Senior Crown Prosecutor at CPS North East, said: “The use of improvised explosive devices by Follos posed an obvious danger to members of the public, but he gave this little though in pursuit of his own financial gain. We have worked closely with our partners in NEROCU to build a robust case against Follos, securing his guilty pleas to all charges against him and a significant custodial sentence.”
If you have any information about crimes in your area, you can report it to your local police or via the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
