We use some essential cookies to make our website work. We’d like to set additional cookies so we can remember your preferences and understand how you use our site.
You can manage your preferences and cookie settings at any time by clicking on “Customise Cookies” below. For more information on how we use cookies, please see our Cookies notice.
Your cookie preferences have been saved. You can update your cookie settings at any time on the cookies page.
Your cookie preferences have been saved. You can update your cookie settings at any time on the cookies page.
Sorry, there was a technical problem. Please try again.
“More communities should be looking to replicate this fantastic project; it’s been incredible to be part of something so important.”
That is the message from Connor Brown’s mother Tanya as her son’s tragic story was the focus of a pioneering state-of-the-art project warning the next generation of the dangers and consequences of knife crime.
The project is the first of its kind and has been the hard work of officers and staff from Northumbria Police with the support of the North East Regional Organised Crime Unit (NEROCU), the Connor Brown Trust and Education Partnership North East.
Connor was just 18-years-old when he was killed in an alleyway in Sunderland city centre on February 24, 2019. He had been stabbed five times, with Leighton Barrass sentenced to life behind bars after being convicted of his murder at Newcastle Crown Court in December that year.
Barrass’ co-accused Ally Gordon was found guilty of manslaughter and handed a prison sentence of three years and six months.
The project saw seventeen students, aged 11-14, from Hetton Academy, participate in the innovative week-long Trainee Detective programme.
They were split into teams at Sunderland College’s Bede Campus and challenged to solve the case after being walked through each step of the Northumbria Police investigation.
Advanced 360 immersive technology and virtual reality in the college's Innovation Space allowed the diligent detectives to walk through the crime scene and a custody suite to evaluate the evidence.
The trainees also received expert medical testimony on Connor’s fatal injuries and the attempts to save the teenager’s life, before paying a visit to Sunderland Magistrates’ Court for a unique behind-the-scenes perspective on the judicial process.
Backed by Connor’s family and friends, who also delivered an input, the groundbreaking project intends to educate young children on the risks of knife crime and the devastating ramifications for their families, friends and the wider community.
The project also builds upon the Force’s year-round work with colleagues in the Violence Reduction Unit (VRU) and participation in the national weeks of action through Operation Sceptre.
Tanya Brown, Founder of the Connor Brown Trust, said: “This project is something very different, it’s a new way of learning and these children are learning so much about knife crime, including the consequences of their actions.
“It’s very hands-on and will definitely help younger generations engage with the sessions and leave a real impact on them. More communities should be looking to replicate this fantastic project; it’s been incredible to be part of something so important.”
Detective Inspector Angela Hewitt, of Northumbria Police, said: “Connor’s murder is just one example of the utter devastation carrying a knife can cause.
“Lives are lost, and futures destroyed in the blink of an eye, which is why as a Force we are doing all that we can to prevent further instances of knife crime.”
Det Insp Hewitt added: “This project is a brilliant and engaging initiative which has managed to deliver our key messages to children in an innovative and captivating manner.
“We would like to thank our partner organisations for all their efforts, and most importantly Connor’s family for their support.
“Without their continued strength and dedication to the cause, this hugely impactful week as part of our ongoing prevention efforts would not have been possible.”
NEROCU Detective Inspector Andrea Burns, said: “This project is so important, the months of planning have ensured we delivered an impactful around knife crime and the devastating ripple effect it has.
“It is about getting them engaged and involved so that the message they leave with has a lasting impact. It has been great to see how much the kids have taken from the week- and our work doesn’t end here. We’re looking to continue to deliver the project and hopefully we can replicate it across the country too.”
Gerard Elder, Immersive Learning Lead at Education Partnership North East, said: "It has been a fantastic week and we are proud to host the Trainee Detective project at Bede Campus. The young people from Hetton Academy have enthusiastically taken part in the various activities and shown that they have marvellous brains that can evaluate crime scenes and piece together all the evidence.
“The project has dramatically increased their awareness of the dangers of knives through both the use of immersive technologies and the dedicated input from Northumbria Police and the NEROCU. It's a humbling thought that projects like this could actually save a life.”
