We use some essential cookies to make our website work. We’d like to set additional cookies so we can remember your preferences and understand how you use our site.
You can manage your preferences and cookie settings at any time by clicking on “Customise Cookies” below. For more information on how we use cookies, please see our Cookies notice.
Your cookie preferences have been saved. You can update your cookie settings at any time on the cookies page.
Your cookie preferences have been saved. You can update your cookie settings at any time on the cookies page.
Sorry, there was a technical problem. Please try again.
Operation Peach was launched in September last year to investigate the alleged supply of Class A and Class B drugs in and around the Alnwick area.
The operation was carried out with support from officers from the North East Regional Organised Crime Unit (NEROCU) and after months of intelligence gathering, suspect surveillance and CCTV enquiries a series of morning raids were undertaken on Wednesday morning.
The day of action saw teams of officers execute simultaneous warrants at properties on Cawledge View, Ravensmeade and St Michaels Square, and a total of six men were arrested.
Searches of each property were then carried out and gold bars, a car, and a Samurai sword were among the goods and items seized.
Five men, aged 21, 24, 26, 26, and 31, have since been charged with conspiracy to supply offences for Class A and Class B drugs.
The sixth man, also aged 31, was arrested on suspicion of conspiring to supply Class B drugs and has been released on police bail pending further enquiries.
Chief Superintendent Sam Rennison, of Northumbria Police, said: "This was a fantastic result and the latest example of our continued work across the Force area to tackle illegal drug supply and organised crime.
“This type of criminality can often lead to a whole host of other issues such as anti-social behaviour and violence, and our officers will continue to proactively engage with any information received.
“I would like to thank everyone involved in Wednesday’s strike action, including the public who have supported us by passing on their concerns and information regarding suspected criminality.
“As a result of the targeted activity, we have now been able to charge five men in connection with our investigation – with a sixth man on police bail.
"We know this particular issue has blighted these communities for some time now, and we would like to thank residents for their patience and support in this matter.
"The investigation and arrests reaffirm our zero-tolerance approach to drugs and our commitment to rooting out criminality within our communities."
NEROCU Detective Inspector Leonard, said: “This is exactly the type of partnership activity that will continue as part of Operation Sentinel, which is our region-wide response to tackling Serious and Organised Crime.
“Drugs and those looking to profit from these illicit activities have no place in our communities and we remain committed to dismantling these organised criminal operations and ensuring those believed to be involved get a knock on the door from police.
“We urge anyone who has information of this type of offending, or has concerns about someone’s behaviour, to come forward and report it.”
Anyone with information about suspected criminality in their area should use the 'Report' tool on the Northumbria Police website, or call 101.
In the event of an emergency, always ring 999.