We use some essential cookies to make our website work. We’d like to set additional cookies so we can remember your preferences and understand how you use our site.
You can manage your preferences and cookie settings at any time by clicking on “Customise Cookies” below. For more information on how we use cookies, please see our Cookies notice.
Your cookie preferences have been saved. You can update your cookie settings at any time on the cookies page.
Your cookie preferences have been saved. You can update your cookie settings at any time on the cookies page.
Sorry, there was a technical problem. Please try again.
A man from Toxteth has been jailed for 14 years for online child sex offences.
Paul Wesh, 46, appeared at Liverpool Crown Court this week (Wednesday 12 February) where he was sentenced to 14 years after pleading guilty to 42 offences including possessing, making, taking, and distributing indecent images of children, attempted sexual communication with a child, and arranging/facilitating the commission of a child sex offence as well as blackmail.
He was also given an indefinite Sexual Harm Prevention Order and will be on the Sex Offenders Register for life.
The court heard that Welsh started a conversation with a child whom he believed to be under 13 years old over the internet, inciting the child to engage in sexual activity. What Welsh didn’t realise at the time was that the person he was speaking to was actually a police officer from Tarian Regional Organised Crime Unit. Having identified him, Tarian passed the intelligence to officers from the NWROCU, who arrested Welsh on 5 May 2023 at his home address. During the examination of multiple devices seized from Welsh, officers identified other victims from across the UK and the US, several of whom had been blackmailed into sending explicit photographs for his own sexual gratification.
Detective Constable Viktorija Clarehugh from the NWROCU said:
“A long and complex investigation has resulted in a sexual predator behind bars for a considerable amount of time. Welsh’s utterly depraved actions have no place in our society, and he deserves to serve a lengthy prison sentence.
"Offenders like Welsh believe they can hide behind a computer or phone screen and avoid conviction, but this is clearly not the case. We collaborate with law enforcement across the country to safeguard children from danger, whether it occurs in person or online.
“I hope this conviction will act as a reminder that there are no borders when it comes to sexual abuse, it can happen anywhere and the impact is devastating.
“If you have experienced any form of sexual abuse, or know of a child being abused, please come forward and report this to police."
Detective Inspector Rich Davies, from Tarian ROCU said:
“It is our absolute priority to protect and keep children safe in our communities and I am grateful to our officers and colleagues at NWROCU for their meticulous investigation into this appalling case. The successful prosecution and conviction of Paul Welsh, a highly dangerous sexual predator, will ensure that vulnerable children are protected from the risk he poses."
If you are a child or young person suffering sexual or physical abuse, the following organisations can also provide help and support:
NSPCC – call 0808 800 5000 or e-mail [email protected].
Childline – call 0800 1111
If you’ve been affected by sexual violence of any kind don’t be afraid to tell someone, find the courage to come forward and get the help you deserve.