We use some essential cookies to make our website work. We’d like to set additional cookies so we can remember your preferences and understand how you use our site.
You can manage your preferences and cookie settings at any time by clicking on “Customise Cookies” below. For more information on how we use cookies, please see our Cookies notice.
Your cookie preferences have been saved. You can update your cookie settings at any time on the cookies page.
Your cookie preferences have been saved. You can update your cookie settings at any time on the cookies page.
Sorry, there was a technical problem. Please try again.
Officers have seized hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of industrial equipment believed to be used in the production of cannabis ‘shatter’.
On Monday (October 13), officers visited a premises suspected to have supplied industrial equipment to a cannabis shatter lab discovered in the Houghton area in May – for which three people have already been arrested.
Working together were Northumbria Police, the North East Regional Organised Crime Unit’s Disruption Team and Government Agency Intelligence Network Co-ordinator, and South Tyneside Council’s Trading Standards Team.
Intelligence led the team to the Bensham Street area of Boldon Colliery in South Tyneside where Trading Standards officers used their powers to enter and inspect the premises.
Once inside, a significant number of apparatus was discovered – including the extractor kits often used in shatter labs.
When inspecting the discoveries, officers found the equipment had been imported from China and did not comply with UK safety standards.
Two vans full of illicit discoveries were seized – with a value of around £120,000 being placed on the sale value of the extractor kits.
Whilst inside the address, officers also discovered just over 5,000 illicit vapes which were being stored there worth around £40,000. They were also seized.
An investigation will now take place to identify anyone believed to be involved in the purchase and supply of these products.
Speaking after the discoveries, Detective Inspector John Hopkins, from Northumbria Police, said: “Sadly, we know all too well the extremely dangerous and devastating consequences of what can go wrong with cannabis shatter labs.
“That’s why the early identification and disruption is crucial so we can take this equipment out of circulation before it ever becomes part of any network.
“I’d like to thank our partners at NEROCU and also South Tyneside Council who supported us on Monday. These results are just an example of what we can achieve when we work together under the banner of Operation Sentinel.”
Det Insp Hopkins added: “As ever, we’d always ask the public to be vigilant around this issue so we can further disrupt any potential offenders. Some things to keep an eye for are discarded gas canisters in bins, gardens or sheds, suspicious activity at an address - regular comings and goings and unusual stainless-steel equipment, such as what we’ve seized here.
“Always report to us even if you aren’t sure – you never know what you could be preventing.”
In the last year, Northumbria Police has dismantled 11 cannabis shatter labs.
NEROCU Detective Sergeant Neil Lovat, said: “This has been a powerful display of partnership working resulting in the large seizure of illegal items that pose a serious risk to the public and our North East communities. Thankfully, due to the hard work of those involved, these items and equipment are no longer a danger to the public and have been taken out of circulation.”
For more information and support around this topic, visit: Honest information about drugs | FRANK