We use some essential cookies to make our website work. We’d like to set additional cookies so we can remember your preferences and understand how you use our site.
You can manage your preferences and cookie settings at any time by clicking on “Customise Cookies” below. For more information on how we use cookies, please see our Cookies notice.
Your cookie preferences have been saved. You can update your cookie settings at any time on the cookies page.
Your cookie preferences have been saved. You can update your cookie settings at any time on the cookies page.
Sorry, there was a technical problem. Please try again.
Adam Hall, previously of the Washington area, Tyne and Wear, was today (Thursday) brought to justice thanks to the bravery of the victim-survivors.
The 43-year-old has been found guilty of five counts of rape and seven counts of causing grievous bodily harm with intent through the intentional transmission of the HIV virus.
He was further found guilty of supplying a controlled drug (GHB) and failing to comply with a police investigation after refusing to provide the password to his phone.
The offences relate to seven victim-survivors, between 2016 and 2023.
Hall had denied the offences.
During the trial at Newcastle Crown Court, the jury was told that if the HIV virus is undetectable in a person’s system it is untransmittable.
However, Hall knew at various points he had transmittable levels of the virus in his system and intentionally had unprotected sex – and in the majority of these cases raped the victim-survivors.
He becomes only the second person in the UK to be convicted of the intentional transmission of HIV.
Hall was remanded into custody and will be sentenced on April 23.
The Senior Investigating Officer Adam Hall’s case, Detective Chief Inspector Emma Smith, of Northumbria Police, said: “Today, we have seen a callous and calculating sexual predator brought to justice.
“Adam Hall has been found guilty of multiple counts of rape and grievous bodily harm through the intentional transmission of HIV.
“He has shown absolutely no remorse for the extensive suffering and distress he has caused.
“We want to recognise the courage shown by the victim-survivors who came forward – it is due to their bravery that he has been brought to justice.
“Our priority remains helping ensure anyone impacted by Hall’s actions receives the support they need.
“Through our extensive investigations we believe that he has had sexual contact with men who have not yet been identified.
“There is also evidence he has travelled to different parts of the country, including County Durham, Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, Manchester, and London.
“We would encourage anyone who may have health concerns to seek advice and support from your local sexual health services.
“There are safe places where you can access a broad range of services. We want people to know this is available confidentially and independently of the police.
“Anyone who believes they may be a victim of a criminal offence is also encouraged to come forward to ourselves.
“We have set-up a dedicated webpage for people to contact us, which can be accessed by visiting our website.
“We want our message to be a clear one – we are here for you, we will listen and we will help ensure you receive the support you need.”
Police are also reminding people that anyone who reports being a victim of any kind of sexual offence has anonymity and should not be identified.
To access local sexual health services visit www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/sexual-health-services/find-a-sexual-health-clinic
Alternatively contact your local GP or sexual health clinic.
Contact your local police via their website or calling 101. Always dial 999 in an emergency.
